Monday, April 12, 2010

Wizards/Sorcerers/Mages/Spellcasters... Screw you.

As a frequent player of games, I have become accustomed to certain character archtypes. For those who read my blog I'm going to do a quick plug in for this site:

Tv Tropes

To get back from my tangent, when I play video games, notably ones where you can be classes, they tend to be along the same type of classes: You have your warrior/strength dude, your rogue/stealthy skilled dude, and your wizard/spellcaster dude. Now I am glad they give me choices. I like choices. You need choices in game. Who wants their character in an RPG like D&D or some other game to be the same as everyone else's (this excludes Eastern RPGs such as Final Fantasy). You want to make your character yours. It is gonna be a reflection of your personality. You can have your character wield a big huge axe or a tiny sword which you skewer baddies with, or you can have a staff and shoot lightening.
I typically play a more warrior based character. I like to balance out my defense and my offensive. Two handed weapons tend to optimize too much the offensive and I worry. I instead try to get a weapon that is strong yet one handed, so I can use a shield. I like shields. I don't like a bulky meathead looking guy. I prefer someone who is closer to me.
Wizards, however, I never play. The idea of magic I have never been to keen on. First issue is you are squishy. A single poke from a twig can break your bones. Second, I always felt like magic users were big on the "Ha! look at how many I took out! I must be more important than you." I don't like standing back and throwing lightening bolts at people. Seems a bit unfair to me.

Now, if I offend anyone with this rant, boo fucking hoo. I don't care.I don't like wizards. I don't like sorcerers. I don't like mages. Harry Potter can go play with his wand for all I care. When I play a character, its not gonna be a muscle head but  it sure as isn't going to be an old man with a bad back and a orthopedic hip with a wand.

1 comment:

Eli McCormick said...

Go play with your wand is a pretty good euphemism for jerk off