Thursday, April 21, 2011

Ridiculous Songs I enjoy

A long time ago, in a land not so different from the one we currently live in, lived a man. This man's name was Chris. and Chris thought he was a punk. However, as much as Chris loved listening to Rancid, Operation Ivy, and Blood Brothers, there was a musical genre that he hid his love for.
Adult Contemporary Rock.
Yes, Chris was a big fan of songs such as "Baby Baby" by Amy Grant; "Hold On" by Wilson Philips; and "Heaven is a Place on Earth" by Belinda Carlise. The list continues as you could include others like Celine Dion, Bangles, and Phil Collins. Chris enjoyed these songs unironically in a pre Harlod and Kumar go to White Castle world.

As you could imagine, the passion for these songs clashed with Chris's punk imagine. How could he rock out to one and still have room in his heart for the other? Well he hid his love for the adult contemporary. Much as a teenage boy (which I was) would hid his playboys under a mattress, I would secretly turn up the Bangles, Amy Grant and others when they appeared on the radio, for it was the only place in the world where I could enjoy them without being mocked.

As time passed, the music I enjoyed slightly changed. Now I find myself listening to Bieber, Ms. Black, and Robin Sparkles. When pressed, I defend these songs as one would defend a loved one or a friend. Yes, Bieber is a douche. Yes, Ms. Black can't sing that well. Yes, Robin Sparkles is a fictional character from a tv (one of the best backstories ever). However, their songs are so brilliant and catchy that, damnit, I like em.

When you get down to it, any song you like has to be catchy and pleasing. Emmy and I agree that while we may not like them as people or the idea of them, we've caught ourselves humming "Best of Both Worlds" when alone, or belting out in the shower "The Sign." Ok. The last one I'm not allowed to play or sing any where around Emmy. In fact, she took my Ace of Base tape, and it is currently in her purse at the moment. The point remains that you are denying yourself something nice by always hating someone cause they're popular. They're popular because their music is good; so lighten up and listen to some N*sync.
Which I can name all the members of.
Seriously ask Emmy.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Haha! Nice blog. I'm glad you don't dislike things because they are or aren't popular.