Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Rebranding Myself

In the year since I graduated, I've been hard at work hunting for that job. I started out hard applying at districts around DC for teaching positions. Getting my letter of recommendations and my resume fixed up, I felt excited and prepared to be hired. Calls would come flooding in, right? Wrong. Really, really wrong. Instead, I got nothing. Those who have spoke to me know that I would have appreciated a rejection letter. A confirmation email is a nice, lasting reminder to someone that they have applied. I have too many of them. I'd like a nice short one that said "Thanks for applying to ___________; however, we regret to inform you ..." You get the point. So, that brings me to this point. I don't think my future lies in teaching. Would I like it to? Yes. Chances are though that no one is going to hire me as a teacher before I get a position in another field. I've already started the process by applying to Bethesda Game Studios to be a Quest Designer. In the meantime, I have applied to Gamestop to work there. How do i go about rebranding myself though? Well, I think rather than displaying myself as a competent teacher, it is a hard working, motivated media saavy individual with the potential to learn anything. Part of the rebranding came in the form of teaching myself Python. Another part is changing my resume, which was fine when I looked at it a year ago, now I see all the ways it has improved. Regret has also been part of the job search. A feeling that all those years ago when I abandoned journalism to do computer design or science would have been more profitable, despite the fact I have no way of knowing that. During my job searches, it has appeared to me that something involving those skills would open the market up to me more than simply possessing an English degree and a teaching license. All this leads me to my current state, a job seeker. An odd term for someone since I can see jobs all around me but those jobs remain high out of reach for one reason or another (most tend to be a requirement of experience; something that is unobtainable without a job). Irregardless, I attempt to secure a job with my credentials and a smile. So here's to me. Job seeker for something that makes me happy while getting me enough money to end some worries.

No comments: