Thursday, October 27, 2011

Using Feminist Theory to Analyze Hunger Games: An Introspective of Katness

Hunger Games is a novel by Suzanne Collins. Having read (or listened to) the first two books makes me an undisputed expert in all things about the series. The final entry in the series Mockingjayis the only one I haven't read. The first two were excellent examples of YA literature, and I do encourage people to read them.
Bringing us to the title of the blog, I do not know Feminist Theory. Philosophy is an area of academia that I have little interest in since my experiences with it have tended to be negative. I don't hate philosophy; but I'd prefer something a little less abstract. Rather this blog is only going to be about good books I'm reading, have read, or want to read.


Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games


As mentioned before, I haven't completed Hunger Games. With the three books in the series, Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and MockingJay, it is a fairly succinct and complete series. The first book introduces us to Katness and her world. Based in a world that suffered a catastrophe, she grows up in District 12, a poor district of the country of Panem. When I first heard of it, admittedly, I was disgusted. After reading Hunger Games it became clear to me that this is the precise reaction Suzanne Collins wanted to provoke.
Characterization is weak at time. I feel that Katness never real grew and remained the same, despite being put in a horrific sport. Suzanne Collins' real star is Peta whom I believe to be the most interesting character in the novel. Sometimes her writing falters and sounds off. Still, I will confess the movie has me excited. Today several news outlets featured posters of characters, many looking great.




Ray Bradybury's A Pleasure to Burn

This is my current read. With half of the book left, I love it. Fahrenheit 451 remains my favorite novel since I first picked it up when I was in fourth grade (though at the time its message and theme completely evaded me). Seeing the evolution of the short stories that led to the creation of the book is interesting. Bits from the first story and second and so make their way to evolve into the book we know. My favorite story so far has been the one about a dead man come back to life wanting revenge for the destruction of all other deceased people.
Ray Bradbury does an excellent job in each story of dialogue and believable interactions. The first tale sticks in my head. With a man coming back to life after being dead six months, he goes to his love only to find that while her love for him remains, their relationship can't be the same for death has change him. As this is a compilation of short stories, I can't speak of specific characters; however, I can say that the writing of Ray is as strong as always.



Karen Traviss's Halo: Glasslands
This will be a new territory for me. With no previous experience with the author, I don't know what to expect. Though, from her resume, I believe it will be excellent. Halo properties tend not to be on the intellectual side. Sometimes you just need a good read fun read.

I will update you all as to how the book turned out when I get it and have read it.

No comments: