Saturday, March 27, 2010

Part 2 of Story

Act 1 Scene 2

The sky is overcast as Link walks down a worn road toward the nearest city. It had been years since he had rode a horse; things had happened that brought back bittersweet memories. Link's hand reaches down and feels the Ocarina. He pulls it up and puts it next to his mouth but stops short. He stares off into the distance.
"How did it become this way? Life used to seem so promising and everything even at it's darkest had hope. I'm glad I'm done fighting. I've lost so much."
He kicks a rock in the road and watches it bounce along the road.

Link looks with disgust at the Ocarina inches from his mouth. Throwing it back into his stachel, he continues down the road as the wind picks up, whipping his and his hair around. The air is hot with the humidity on this day . His armor captures the heat and stings his skin each time he moves. His thoughts start to flow back to his life. Navi, the fairy he once had. The Great Deku tree who sent Navi to help him. The journey they began. Zelda. Saria. Malon. It all seems so far away now. It was all so fun at the time but now it is just my job. Helping people. I used to use the Ocarina all the time to go back and fix things. The last people I fought I couldn't use it once. Then again I didn't need to. Those five crime bosses were easier than anything in the past. like Ganon."
Ganon. Link's stomach twists with the name. He had fought him and defeated him over 10 years ago, but the memories still made Link wake up in cold sweats. That was a face that was unforgetable to Link.
"Ganon made me into what I am today. I fight. I have fought for the past ten years. Everything I learned was to defeat Ganon. I've only become better. But I feel disconneted some way. I know the Tri-Force was there the first time. I just don't feel part of it anymore. I am glad he is dead. Too bad I'm still stuck with this monster."
Reaching back into his stachel he grabs the Ocarina with a crushing grip. He throws it down the road, as it lands skipping and sliding to a stop. The angry grows in his eyes, his jaw clenches shut.
"DAMN the Ocarina! I hate what it has done to me. I should have thrown it away long ago. I had to use it always. Saved Hyrule. Defeated Majora's Mask. It seems like now each time I use it a piece of me dies. The songs haunt me."
He finds that he has started to whistle Epona's song. He stops and fights back the tears. He hadn't thought about Epona for years. "She had got old and he couldn't keep putting her in danger. Epona was the one piece of home I had with me. When I left her with the farmer I could tell how sad she was. I had to fight back the tears. I wouldn't accept any money for her. She was my greatest friend after Navi."
Several leaves blows acrss the path shaking him from the thoughts. He hurries down the road. As he passes the Ocarina he scoops it up and puts in back into his satchel. The blue hue color has faded and worn here he held it a thousand times.
"Navi. There is someone who was always there to help. God. If there wasn't times to tell me to listen that weren't just really bad times. Ha. Me hanging off a ledge over a bottom less pit and she says, 'HEY! LISTEN!' I thought I was going to beat her when I got through it all. But she was with me until the day I left Hyrule. She couldn't take leaving. I wonder if she'll recognize me."
After several more miles, rain begins to fall on him. He continues to jog down the road until in the distance he can see the shoreline of the ocean in the distance. Beyond the ocean, was Hyrule. The first place he saved all those years years ago. The rain soaks him and his armor. The armor gets harder to run in as the clothes get soaked and slows the movement.
As he jogs, Epona's song comes back into his head. He whistles along as his eyes swell with tears in them.

No comments: